Simkar is an internationally known designer, developer, and manufacturer of lighting products headquartered in Philadelphia, PA. Since 1952, we have provided a diverse selection of high-quality LED lighting fixtures, along with other technologies to contractors, specifiers, and other strategic partners.
In May 2018, Neo Lights Holding Inc., a renewable energy technology company developing and manufacturing LED technologies, smart sensors and networking systems, with innovative approaches to off-grid and on grid emergency management networked solutions acquired Simkar. The combination of Neo Lights Holdings’ innovative LED smart technology with off-grid solutions, and Simkar’s world-class large-scale lighting manufacturing capability, will allow the rapid deployment of new and innovative LED networked design products, as well as traditional lighting products to meet the various needs in the market place.
We’re proud to design and manufacture American made quality lighting fixtures at our 275,000 square foot manufacturing facility in Philadelphia, PA. With warehouse facilities located throughout the United States, Simkar is strategically positioned to quickly and efficiently meet the production and distribution needs of our customers. Our products are available through electrical distributors located across the country.
As needs continue to change in the lighting industry with new energy-efficient technologies, so will Simkar. One of the many positive results of the of the recent acquisition requires additions to our Engineering team in all disciplines.
This position is responsible for planning, coordinating and implementing manufacturing processes and methods required for a premier Commercial, Industrial and Residential lighting product manufacturing facility. Key duties include leading and/or participating on projects that increase plant capacity, reduce cost, improve productivity, reduce job hazards, and /or improve product quality.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The functions of this position will vary but basic functions will include:
- Pursue opportunities for cost reduction and profit improvement.
- Initiate Lean Manufacturing (Kaizen) and Inventory Reduction efforts in product assembly area.
- Aid in firm’s transition from a low-variety, high-volume producer, to a high-variety, low-volume producer
- Work concurrently with Design Engineering, Marketing, and the shop floor in the design of new products to ensure a smooth transition to the production floor.
- Troubleshoot existing equipment and processes where needed
- Program CNC Turret Presses and ensure programs function as intended via working with Press Shop personnel and Design Engineers.
- Prepare justifications for capital projects and coordinate the completion of projects via in-house maintenance staff and/or outside contractors.
- Write standard operating instruction and aid in cross-training operators on new equipment
- Takes an active role in solving quality problems and designing process controls
- Create and maintain routings
- Actively participate in monthly safety committee meetings and assist in assuring that safety issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- Use Microsoft Word, Excel, AutoCAD or Solid Works as well as CNC turret press programming software as needed to properly and efficiently conduct above tasks.
- Occasional travel required with overnight stay.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, AutoCAD or Solid Works.
- Background in CNC turret press programming.
- Background in Laser Cutter programing a plus.
- Working knowledge of paint lines preferably powder coating a plus.
Education and Experience:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
- Experience: 5 or more years of related progressive experience within a manufacturing environment.